Friday, April 26, 2013

Week of April 22 - 26

Here are this week's Science Lab activities:
  • Kindergarten: In honor of Earth Day, we learned more about recycling this week. We learned about what items are okay to recycle, and which are not. We also played a recycling sorting game where we sorted recyclable material into bins: paper, plastic, and glass.Home extension: Ask your student to help you sort trash from recycling items.
  • 1st grade: I didn't get to see my 1st grade friends this week because of the STAAR exams I helped monitor. But I have something exciting planned for them next week, and I can't wait to see them again!
  • 2nd grade: We learned about a super-cool boat made entirely out of recyclable materials called Plastiki. We also brainstormed ways to help our ocean's pollution problem. Home extension: Ask your student to tell you his/her plan for encouraging others to use less plastic and to recycle more.
  • 3rd grade: I didn't get to see my 3rd grade friends this week because of STAAR makeup exams, but I have something exciting planned for them next week, and I can't wait to see them again!
  • 4th grade: We not only learned about the solar energy this week, but we also learned about the importance of sun screen! We tested various types of sunscreen against UV-reactive paper to figure out which piece of paper got the hottest and/or changed colors due to the UV rays. It was definitely a lesson to remember! Home extension: Help your student pick out sunscreen to wear every day -- clouds or shine! He/she can explain which SPF worked best in our investigation, and why wearing sunscreen is important.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. We loving hearing your feedback! Please check back for a comment reply.